Constructed in 1849 under the direction of famed architect, James Kempster, County Surveyor for Galway East Riding, The Church Gallery served as the Convent Chapel for the Sisters of Mercy who provided Secondary Education at the site from 1919 to 2003. Following the relocating of the school to nearby Mackney, the Chapel had fallen somewhat into disrepair but a substantial monetary contribution from the disbanding Ballinasloe Town Council meant the whole site, including Chapel was renovated and re-imagined as a state of the art Public Library and gallery/performance space, now known as The Church Gallery.